Friday, November 2, 2018

Recent Re-read: Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie

As I wrote before, I rewatched the film of the same name back in February. I didn't mention that I rewatched it about 10 times. I didn't watch the full three-plus hour film each time; I'd put the film on in the background as I did chores.

I originally saw the film when it first came out in the 70's. I liked it enough to read the book. When I saw this book again this September at a Kent library sale, I had to get it.

Massie's son had hemophilia; that led him to research the story of Tsarevich Alexis. My father had a version of hemophilia; perhaps that adds to the interest of the fall of Tsar Nicholas II.

Nicholas seemed born out of time and place. That's it: he was an anachronism. More over his head, than evil or cruel.

I'd like to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment