Thursday, October 1, 2020

Donna Parker Remembered

In August, I wrote about books I read as a child and teenager. I neglected to mention the Donna Parker series. I was reminded of her when I picked up my copy of Leaves of Grass the other night (so old it set me back $.75) and read "I Hear America Singing." It may be Donna Parker who first exposed me to Walt Whitman.

I read three of the seven books in the series: Donna Parker at Cherrydale, Donna Parker: A Spring to Remember, and Donna Parker in Hollywood. As with other books I read as a teenager, these books belonged to my sister. 

While I'm unsure if A Spring to Remember was my first exposure to Walt Whitman. I know that I first learned about the Hindu god Ganesh (or Ganesha) in Donna Parker in Hollywood. Ganesh is known as the remover of obstacles and patron of letters and learning during writing sessions. As I write this post, Ganesh sits on a table beside me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment