Friday, June 10, 2022

Abandoning War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

I haven't abandoned a book since February 2019. I guess I just chose my books well. I had thought about reading War and Peace back in February.  Instead, I read another 11 books. 

I realized I had been avoiding War and Peace. After I finished Ragtime, I returned to War and Peace and read the first two chapters, then I let it sit for several days. Apparently I was avoiding the book again. I made an effort to continue. I read 19 chapters up to page 72.

I give up. There are too many princes and princesses; I can't keep them straight. I have to keep going back to previous pages to review who the characters are. At least there's only one Pierre. 

I used to feel guilty about not finishing books, especially a classic such as War and Peace. But even Laura Vanderkam and Anne Bogel--both big readers--agree it's fine to give up a book. I can't find the post now, but one of them suggested that reading 10 percent of a book should be enough to decide if you want to continue. I did that. 

I haven't decided on my next book yet. I have many choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment