Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Game of Thrones Season Three Finale

As I write this post, I am re-watching Mhysa for the third time. I had no idea what would happen in this episode. I haven't re-read A Storm of Swords, and the show runners continue to make many changes from the books. I've read several comments on TWoP that this was a boring episode. I don't get it.

The episode opens with a scene of slaughter and fire outside the Twins. Arya regains consciousness just in time to see the desecration of her brother's body with Grey Wind's head sewed onto it. Tragic--Arya had been so hopeful just minutes before. If she had any innocence left after all she had been through, it is gone after that sight.

This is demonstrated a few scenes later: Arya hears a soldier bragging about  being one who helped sew the wolf's head onto Robb's body. Arya asks to warm herself by the fire and then kills the man. Her eyes are dead and she would be literally dead if the Hound had not assisted her by killing the other soldiers.

In King's Landing, Tyrion and Sansa have a friendly moment until Tyrion is called into a Small Council meeting. Joffrey is gleeful about Red Wedding news. Later he openly insults Tywin, who sends him to bed. Next, Tyrion enters Sansa's chambers; she has been crying. I'm disappointed that we don't see the scene in which Sansa learns about her family's deaths. We see Sansa's grief through Tyrion's eyes. I didn't mind that choice before (when we didn't see Sansa learning that she was to marry Tyrion, not Loras.) But I don't want to see Sansa's story through Tyrion.

In other subplots, John and Sam make it back to Castle Black; Bran and company make it through the wall. Dany is proclaimed Mother (Mhysa) of the Yunkai. Davos helps Gendry escape. And maybe, there is hope for Theon as Yara leaves Pyke for the Dreadfort. 

Not a boring episode by any means.

It's about nine months before Season Four begins. At least we go right into the sixth season of True Blood next week. That will help my GoT withdrawal, but I can't wait to return to Westeros.





No comments:

Post a Comment