Friday, June 7, 2013

Netflix Guilt: Finish What You Start

This post is inspired by a combination of three things:

keeping our last Netflix disk for three weeks

a conversation at the writing retreat about someone who's had a Netflix movie for over a year

my memory of this post about Netflix guilt.

My instinct is to finish things--but there's a point when you say--the hell with it--I don't like this movie or this book or whatever.

Sometimes, it's hard to even start a movie. A few years ago, we rented Hotel Rwanda. I like Don Cheadle, and we heard it was a good film. But we had to get ourselves in the right frame of mind to watch it.

Jeff stops us from keeping a film too long. After a few weeks, if we haven't gotten around to watching it, he returns the DVD. He was ready to return The Emperor and the Assassin, but we watched it during the Mets' first rain out.

I like Jeff's approach; I don't want to end up with a movie for weeks upon weeks. I also like to make the best the best of our Netflix membership.  Our membership level gives us one DVD at a time and online access. We had two DVD's at a time when Jeff was commuting into NYC; he liked to watch movies on the train.

A goal: never enter the realm of Netflix guilt or annual rentals.

No comments:

Post a Comment