Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Re-Watching and Blogging Firefly

I was thinking that I would start re-watching Veronica Mars, Season Two this week. But then I read that Rhiannon of Feminist Fiction was going to re-watch and blog about Firefly. I decided to re-watch Firefly first.

Jeff and I didn't watch Firefly during its original run. From what I read since then, it wasn't exactly promoted by Fox. We found it via Netflix instant streaming, quickly watched the whole series and the movie Serenity and loved it.

I found Feminist Fiction via a link from TWoP's Game of  Thrones forum. I've enjoyed her posts about Game of Thrones. I'm psyched to read her insights about Firefly. I don't intend to post about every episode but will play it by ear.

Rhiannon's post about the pilot is here. I thought the pilot did a great job setting up the technology, the political situation, and most importantly the characters. I liked all the characters except Jayne, (Spoiler alert: I never warmed up to Jayne.) Jayne is still a good character. I wondered if he would betray others in the crew.  I loved Zoe and Kaylee.  I agree with Rhiannon about Inara's sponge bath in this episode; that was just stupid. I didn't notice the lack of Asians because I didn't get that the world was supposed to be half-Chinese. I was intrigued by the big bad--the Reavers. We don't learn much about them in the pilot, but what we did hear was bad enough.

The second episode of the series is The Train Job. Rhiannon discusses it in this post. I didn't realize that this was a second  pilot when I watched it. I liked the scary villain of this episode (Spoiler Alert: he returns in a future episode) and loved that Mal returned the stolen medical goods. It didn't bother me that background was repeated; I see it often in new series.

Jeff and I also watched the third episode today: Bushwacked. We learned more about the Reavers. I won't say more at this time. I want to read Rhiannon's take first.

No comments:

Post a Comment