Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mornings

We've had a few days of heat and humidity. On Tuesday and Wednesday, I took Spike to the dog park in lieu of morning walks around the neighborhood. Taylor Farm dog park is across the street from the beach and usually has a cool breeze. Plus it's more fun for Spike to be off leash.

I haven't done the morning dog park visit in a long time. I know people who go at 6 or 6:30, but we didn't get there until 9-9:30. On Tuesday, we walked through the woods, and before the mosquitoes discovered me, it was wonderful: cool and peaceful, redolent with honeysuckles. On Wednesday, Spike sat down in the shade before we made it one-quarter around the park. We moved to another shady spot with a picnic bench. At one point, we were the only ones at the park.

Today, I got up early and thought we could get to the dog park by 7:30-8:00. But it started pouring so that didn't work. Instead Spike and I had a short neighborhood walk (his choice, I would have gone farther.) I went to the gym and was home by 10.

The last few days got me thinking, re-thinking about my morning routine. Plus I read this article. Working out in the morning is not a revolutionary idea; if you work out first thing, you can't be derailed by other problems throughout the day.

I have no interest in doing a triathlon and I don't think it's necessary for me to start working out at  5:30. But. the gist of this particular article isn't about training for a triathlon; it's more of a if I can do it, so can you. That's not true for everyone (and I'm not going to get into it here.) But I am thinking about how this model can work  for me.  I can get up at 5:30, but I don't have to. If I can get up with alarm at 6:30 and be efficient, that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment