Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Netflix Movie Night: The Hobbit

The Hobbit

I was ambivalent when I first heard about this film; I didn't like the idea of milking three movies out of the book.

It's a long film too--almost three hours. This easily could have been another film that took us three weeks to watch, but we got it on a day when the Mets were off, nothing much was on TV and we had an early dinner.

I thought the film was too long, especially the beginning scenes when the quirky dwarfs descend upon Bilbo. The action scenes and special effects were well-done but a little too "blockbustery" for my taste.

I've only read The Hobbit once and don't remember much of what happens except for scenes of the trolls, the wolves and Bilbo meeting Gollum (and of course for the showdown with Smaug). The first three scenes were in the first film.

Overall, a good film that could have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment