Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Indian Summer?


Taking advantage of the current warm spell, we hiked at Putnam Park yesterday. We had hiked there once with Spike based on an entry in this book. Lola enjoyed exploring a new place. Today we returned to our home base of Taylor Farm. It was fun to see how excited Lola got when we were getting ready to go. Where should we go tomorrow?

As much as we are enjoying the warmth, apparently, there is some controversy if this is an Indian summer.

 I was reminded of the opening of the novel, Peyton Place.

“Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, hotly passionate, but fickle, she comes and goes as she pleases so that one is never sure whether she will come at all, nor for how long she will stay.”

I think I first read Peyton Place in high school for pleasure. I re-read it in college as part of a course, Film and American Society. I still remember that first line.

Isn't that a success for the writer? I never cared for the idea that all women are fickle, but still that line stayed with me.

Today I found that that line is listed among the great and the worst opening lines.

Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment