Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year's Day Lucky Foods

Jeff's dad is a proponent of eating sauerkraut on New Year's Day. He says he ate it and got a raise. We've often had sauerkraut, but I don't remember getting much luck out of it.

I stopped at my bank branch yesterday. Employees there write fun facts on a chalkboard. Yesterday's fact stated that ham, cabbage and black eyed peas are considered lucky on New Year's Day.

Last night our friends served us 12 green grapes on wooden skewers. They told us that we had to wait until the stroke of midnight, and then eat all the grapes in one minute, before any toasting or kissing for good luck.

Today we watched a few episodes of Top Chef Last Chance Kitchen. One challenge had the chefs choose seven lucky ingredients. I don't remember all of the options: but some were pork (moving forward) ginger, kale, sage (to get rid of evil spirits) garlic (to ward off vampires) and pomegranates.

At midnight we had the grapes, Today Jeff and I had ham, garlic and sage in scrambled eggs, later risotto with kale and garlic. I hope these lucky foods prevail and the lack of sauerkraut doesn't hurt.

We can use a lucky year.

No comments:

Post a Comment