Monday, January 2, 2017

On 2017

The week before Christmas I had many things to do: shopping for presents and food, wrapping presents and cooking. I couldn't wait to get back home Christmas night and relax. I hoped that the post-Christmas week would be a time to relax, but also work on my new ACT manual, hit the gym several times, clean and organize around the house. Unfortunately, my cold did me in. I did a lot of work on my manual but that was about it.

The official start of the new year is the natural time to think/write about resolutions and plans. But I've always been ambivalent about resolutions. I usually put some kind of list together, but it takes me a while to get going.

The worst thing about resolutions is that most people don't expect them to succeed. I heard some guy on the radio today say that his resolutions were to hit the gym and lose weight, immediately followed by, "we'll see how long that lasts." Why even bother?

A goal for me is to stop drinking for six weeks, starting tomorrow. Jeff and I been doing this for at least 15 years. That's a SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound) goal.

Everything after that is a work in progress. I'm fine with that. I don't have to have everything figured out right away. Long term goals deserve long term planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment