Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Book 31: Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity, and the Perfect Knuckleball by R.A. Dickey with Wayne Coffey

I was a big R.A. Dickey fan when he was with the Mets; I'm wearing a Dickey t-shirt as I write this. I did not approve of his trade to Toronto; of course, no one on the Mets asked my opinion.

Dickey didn't have an easy childhood, nor did he have an easy career. Ultimately, he achieved his dream of success in the major leagues--most impressively with my beloved New York Mets. Dickey succeeded with hard work, ability to adapt, support from friends (including other baseball players) and family, and his strong Christian faith. 

One of the things I like about Dickey is that his Christianity is personal to him. He is focused on becoming a better man, husband, and Christian, and not trying to force his religious opinions on everyone else.

I remember a Mets announcer describing Dickey as an autodidact. I love that word as a former SAT prep teacher, plus I love people that learn on their own. Dickey once considered a future as a teacher; he's serious about learning. 

I wish the book had included his 2012 season with the Mets: he became the first knuckleball pitcher to win the Cy Young. 

No comments:

Post a Comment