Sunday, December 19, 2021

Book 33: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Note: Of the 18 books I purchased at library sales, this is the 11th I've read. 

I was a bit concerned when I started this book and found the dialogue was written in the vernacular. I remembered how difficult it was to read Mammy's dialogue in Gone With the Wind. This wasn't the same. I did have to read the dialogue more slowly than the narrative. I stumbled over a word or two, but I could understand it. Hurston's voice was more authentic than Margaret Mitchell's, I'm sure. 

I liked Janie and reading about her journey from the grandmother who stifled her in trying to protect her, through her relationships with three men who tried to control her in various ways. Janie's journey wasn't an easy one, but she found some happiness in finding herself. 

There were so many beautiful phrases in this book.

It opened with: Ships at a distance have very man's wish on board. For some they come in on the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men.

To begin the second chapter: Janie saw her life like a great tree in leaf with the things suffered, things enjoyed, things done and undone, dawn and doom was in the branches.

As I was reading this book, I came upon this link about Nora Neale Hurston. I loved reading this article about Alice Walker searching for Hurston. 

I want to read more from Zora Neale Hurston especially her memoir: Dust Tracks on a Road: a great title.

No comments:

Post a Comment