Saturday, December 11, 2021

Plans, Schedules, and Self-Sabotage

It's been a frustrating week for me. But I still have the rest of today and tomorrow to make the most of it. 

I'll start by discussing the end of last week. I had planned to write a post about plans gone awry focusing on our visit to the Christmas Shoppe at the Merwinsville Hotel. It takes about an hour to get there; I wanted to leave home at 1 and return around 4. I figured I would exercise then and maybe clean the bathroom.

I wanted to take Lola out at 11. I didn't take into account time to get gas and cash. Backed up traffic on I-95 led me to go to Cranbury Park instead of Sherwood Island Park. Then Lola and I made a wrong turn in the woods. It was 1 before I returned home and still had to eat lunch. By the time we got on the road, it was almost 2: we returned just before 5. 

One hour isn't a big deal. As a friend said, we didn't have appointments or other obligations. But if I had planned a little better, I could have taken care of my chores and left for the Hotel at 1. If I had gotten home at 4, I wouldn't have blown off exercise. As for cleaning the bathroom, that was never realistic. 

For the next several days, I got off to slow starts and faced distractions. I spent an hour Sunday looking to buy a map of Gaylordsville, only to discover that Jeff probably had the best map already as part of his Western Connecticut book of maps. D'oh. 

On Monday, Jeff couldn't find his phone. It was in my car, but I didn't find it despite searching and despite both of us being in the car until after we bought new phones. Double D'oh! Jeff needed a cell phone to log into work, so it became an urgent task to get a new phone. Our service plan had expired, Jeff had talked about getting new phones, and apparently our old phones are from the Jurassic Era. So, we needed new phones, but I didn't want to spend two hours on Monday getting them. 

The rest of the week--well, I seemed to be rebelling against all the things I should have been doing. Many to-dos were left undone. One to-do from Sunday was to bring Christmas decorations from our storage bin in the basement. The boxes still sit in the dining area. 

On the positive side, I was more productive today. Not as productive as I had hoped, but that's a rare occurrence. Tomorrow will be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment