Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Houses of Pretentiousness

I always hated named houses. I figured their owners were pretentious assholes. The first named home I noticed (other than famous historical places like Mount Vernon) was Byebrook in Weston, an old hunting lodge on 13 acres. 

Manor houses and plantations were established in the colonies before the founding of the United States. House numbering plans were based on local policies; many American cities in the 19th and 20th centuries improved their numbering systems.

I pass another named home in Wilton several times a week called Twist o the Hill. This one bugs me the most because it tries to be poetic in its pretentiousness. When Jeff and I went away for our anniversary, I saw signs for two named houses: Cliff's Edge and Winter Haven. 

The only named home I can approve is the Burnside Fireside from Auntie Mame. Of course Mame named her home after hearing about Upson Downs and Upson Pines--homes of the obnoxious Upson family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment