Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Book 19: Booth by Karen Joy Fowler

I knew I would read this book as soon as I heard about it. It's a work of fiction covering much of the same material as the nonfiction book My Thoughts Be Bloody that I read earlier this year. I really enjoyed it.

Fowler choses to tell much of her story through Rosalie Booth, older sister to Edwin and John Wilkes. Fowler describes Rosalie as leaving "only a slight mark on the world" and as "the most fictional."

The Booths are a fascinating family. Talk about dysfunctioanl: their stories could create a long running soap opera containing genius, demons, eccentricity, and scandal with settings in London, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, Panama, and Gold Rush California. And that's without John Wilkes Booth's assassination of President Lincoln. 

It would be fitting if someone could create some kind of dramatization of their stories--maybe a limited series--I would love to see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment