Saturday, July 30, 2022

Book 21: Manhunt The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

I was glad to see this book at a May book sale (either Wilton or Westport) especially because I had read this book last November.

I feel as if I'm becoming a bit of an expert on the Booths based on recent books I've read. I resent Swanson's exaggeration of John Wilkes Booth's acting ability and fame. Edwin was the star of that generation. 

But that's a small quibble in a strong, well-researched book. There are several threads involving individuals who have their own fascinating stories:  

Dr. Samuel Mudd--part of Booth's plan to kidnap, not assassinate the President;

Laura Keene--the actress and former lover of Edwin Booth who starred in and re-wrote parts of the play Our American Cousin--and cradled Lincoln's head in her lap after he was shot; 

Thomas A. Jones--a Confederate agent and river boatmen who helped hide Booth and his accomplice David Herold and then cross the Potomac River into Virginia.

This is another book I would have loved to discuss with my father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment