Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Pequot Library Book Sale

Sunday morning, my friend Cynthia and I went to the summer book sale at Pequot Library--two tents of books, CDs, DVDs, and albums. I bought seven books and one DVD for $8.00.

I wasn't planning to even look at the DVDs but saw Nancy Drew...Reporter--my second favorite of the four film series. No other DVDs interested me. 

These are the books.

1. Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir: I have this already in paperback and bought the hardcover to replace it. 

2. Social Crimes by Jane Stanton Hitchcock: I recognized Hitchcock's name. I loved her book The Witches' Hammer; so I bought this one. 

3. She Walks These Hills by Sharyn McCrumb: I read another book by McCrumb: If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O and liked it. I also admired McCrumb for her article, "Of Time and the Writer."

4. Puzzled Heart by Amanda Cross: I thought I had read all of the Kate Fansler mysteries, but I don't remember this story. I just read the first few pages. They aren't familiar, but funny enough that I think I would remember them. 

5. Mystic River by Dennis Lehane: Last year I read a collection (ha) of Lehane's stories and liked them. I had picked up another Lehane book, but exchanged it for this.

6. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez: I had added this book to my TBR (to be read) list based on a recommendation from someone at Modern Mrs. Darcy.

7. The Alienist by Caleb Carr: I've heard good things about this book and the TV series. 

I looked for The Eight by Katherine Neville. I had read it years ago and liked it (but don't remember anything else.) At another Pequot Book Sale I bought The Fire, without realizing it was a sequel to The Eight. I saw several copies of The Eight at the earlier sale. 

I have about 15 books in house to read. I'm not hoarding books in fear of a new pandemic; I just wanted to make a rough count. In the early days of the pandemic, I counted 19 books (without Kindle and rereading.)

I'm rich in books.

No comments:

Post a Comment