Saturday, July 16, 2022

Book 20: Laura by Vera Caspary

I bought this book for $.50 at the Norwalk Library the day I borrowed Booth. It's another book purchase inspired by films (others are Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, All This and Heaven Too, Julie and Julia, and Dragonwyck.)

I love the film, Laura. It's one of my favorites. I liked the book. The film begins with a voiceover by Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb.) The book has three narrators: Waldo, Mark, and Laura. I liked the multiple PoVs. 

Book Waldo is fat, but I can't imagine anyone other than slender Clifton Webb as Waldo. Similarly, Vincent Price doesn't strike me as the hunky, handsome Shelby, but I did mention in my other post that he was more broad-shouldered than I had remembered. As it often happens, I read the book while visualizing the film's actors. 

Back to the book: I loved Caspary's choice of murder weapon--much more elegant and unusual than the movie's. Caspary apparently researched this. I didn't care for all the "Mark is a man" commentary, but I guess it's true to the time.

I just checked our cable channel guide. Laura is available on TCM on Demand. I hope to add more later. 


Edit 1 7.24.22: I had bookmarked a phrase in Laura that I liked. I'm not sure why I didn't include it. 

Narrated by Waldo Lydecker: 

 The moon had lost its battle with the clouds and retreated, leaving no trace of copper brilliance in the ominous sky. The air had grown heavier.

Edit 2 7.24.22: I watched Laura on TCM last week. I didn't mind the minor changes such as Waldo's weight, where Laura first approached Waldo for his endorsement of a pen, and the police tail of Shelby. 

I still think the book murder weapon and finale are better than the film's. The second entrance to Laura's apartment in the film hadn't been established beforehand. It was awkward (and too easily broken into.)

No comments:

Post a Comment