Sunday, July 10, 2022

More on Dark Shadows

In the month since I discovered the early episodes of Dark Shadows on Prime, I've watched the Laura Collins Phoenix storyline. I skipped some episodes, but realized I missed Sam's hands catching on fire. After that, I went back and pretty much watched each episode after that. 

I had only watched the end of this storyline back in 1966. It was not subtle; Laura told the Phoenix rising from the ashes story in her first or second scene with Maggie at the Collinsport Hotel. But it was definitely cool to see how she could just stare into the fire to vanquish her foes. 

I mentioned to Jeff that you could see why I was so into this show as an 11-year-old. Hey, I'm still into it.

Yes, there is a lot of repetition--it was 1960's soap opera pacing, after all. Yes, there are inconsistencies. If the whole Laura Murdock deaths by fire took place every hundred years on a specific date, why did Laura also die in a fire in Phoenix? And just when did the bodies disappear anyway? The Phoenix death didn't quite line up with the Collinsport deaths. 

I liked that after the finale, there are two episodes to sum things up. But in that second episode, Jason McGuire makes his first appearance. Jason will blackmail Elizabeth Collins Stoddard and make her life hell for about four months.

The appearance of Jason means Barnabas is not too far behind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment