Sunday, May 1, 2022

A Visit to the Met

Yesterday, my brother, his girlfriend, her son, and I visited The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

We walked through Greek art displays as we headed to Egyptian Wing; unfortunately the Temple of Dendur was closed, but there was still plenty to Egyptian sculptures, paintings, and other things to appreciate. We saw a small exhibit of Faberge eggs originally owned by the Romanovs. I had misunderstood a description of one piece and didn't see the egg I had hoped to see (it's on the cover of the book I'm reading  about the lost fortune of the Tsars) but they were all beautiful. 

I was psyched to see a gallery of Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Seurat paintings including Van Gogh's "Self Portrait with a Straw Hat", "Irises," and "Sunflowers." We saw Monet's "Bridge over a Pond of Water Lilies" (I am looking at a reproduction now in our living room) and other paintings of water lilies.

We visited a Winslow Homer exhibit, "Crosscurrents." I'm not familiar with his work except for "The Gulf Stream." Later we saw abstract art including Jackson Pollack works.

On the way out I saw a portrait of Joan of Arc by Jules Bastien-Lepage. I remember seeing it when I visited the Met in high school. I had sat on the bench, stared at it, and felt that Joan was staring into my eyes. I didn't get the same effect from the painting in its new location, but I was happy to see it again. 

Of course, we couldn't leave without a stop at the Museum shop. I got a few postcards, a set of Impressionism and Post-Impressionism magnets, a Monet Bridge and Water Lilies catchall tray, and Frida Kahlo lip balm.

After lunch at Bocado, we headed home. It was a great way to spend a beautiful spring day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment