Sunday, May 8, 2022

Book 13: Julie & Julia my year of cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell

I wanted a change of pace from my last book (The Lost Fortune of the Tsars) and this fit the bill. 

I enjoy the movie and usually watch at least part of it every time it's on TV. It has a good cast: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams and Stanley Tucci. I identify with Julie as a frustrated novelist and blogger, and Julia Child's story is charming. 

It's the addition of Julia Child's story that makes the film better than the book. I also liked the film's addition of Julie's humiliating story that her "friend" wrote about her in New York Magazine (at least I think it was New York Magazine.) It really nails her "I'm 30 with nothing to show for my life" ennui.

A nitpick: I would have liked to read about more recipes and skipped the story of 11-year-old Julie finding her father's copy of The Joy of Sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment