Saturday, May 14, 2022

Birds of Prey at the New Canaan Nature Center

For the past two months, I've been volunteering to care for the birds of prey at the New Canaan Nature Center. There is a red shouldered hawk, a bald eagle, a barred owl, a barn owl, a northern saw whet owl, and a turkey vulture (the last is not technically a bird of prey.)

I clean the enclosures which isn't as bad as it sounds. If the bird is ornery, I don't clean as well as I normally would. I also give the birds food and water.

As part of my duties, I prepare food for the following day. The birds are fed mice, chicks, and/or rats--all frozen. I was told that their food was raised cleanly and humanely. Each bird is given a specific amount of food. To get the specific amount, I sometimes have to chop up a mouse, chick, or rat. I thought I'd be too squeamish to do it. Then I learned it can be physically difficult to chop up a rat; a repaired hatchet helped. 

I've gotten better with the rat chopping--I'm actually pretty non-squeamish--and more efficient in my other duties. There are still challenges. Jasper, the barn owl, has taken to flying to me and trying to land on my head. I started to wear a baseball cap and will carry a broom to keep Jasper away. Apparently the birds get a little antsy in the spring. 

At some point, I'd like to be able to hold a bird on my arm (specially gloved, of course) but I'm far from there. For now, I'm happy to help take care of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment