Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Book 15: American Heiress The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst by Jeffrey Toobin

I remember hearing about this book when it came out in 2016 and was interested, but promptly forgot about it until I see this book at one of the recent book sales. I have always been intrigued by what Patricia Hearst went through. We are only a year apart and were both in college at the time of her kidnapping. 

I've previously read Anyone's Daughter: The Times and Trials of Patty Hearst by Shana Alexander, My Search for Patty Hearst by Steven Week with Scott Swanton, and Every Secret Thing by Patricia Campbell Hearst. 

Toobin did an impressive amount of research revealing such details as the backgrounds of the kidnappers--members of the Symbionese Liberation Army SLA--and how the kidnapping almost fell apart before it started. Toobin's research included a collection of legal and investigative files of all SLA figures collected by SLA alum Bill Harris. These files included legal strategy memos, FBI interviews, television and magazine interviews. 

Unfortunately, Toobin has a superior, condescending tone. It's annoying enough even without knowing about this incident among others.

I don't respect Toobin as a man, but I do respect his research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment