Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Book 12: The Lost Fortune of the Tsars by William Clarke

I had never really wondered about the Tsar's fortune to be honest, but of course I don't have a claim to it. Clarke's research continued for over 20 years, and he made slow progress with Russian sources, until the advent of Glasnost. The research was interesting, though I won't remember details. Basically, Clarke found no secret stash for the personal use of the Romanovs (though it was difficult to separate personal from state funds.)

It was interesting to compare Clarke's descriptions of "Romanov" claimants  Anna Anderson and Michel Goleniewski with those of Robert K. Massie. I also liked seeing how Clarke depicted the Nicholas' last days as background to the search for fortunes. Obviously, this was a summary compared to other books I have read on the downfall of the Romanovs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment