Sunday, May 1, 2022

Back to Merwinsville

One of the things I was too busy to do last weekend was to go to the Spring Arts Show at the Merwinsville Hotel, so Jeff and I went on Friday. We looked at jewelry, paintings, photographs, pottery, and glassware. I bought two blank cards--one with a photo of a red shouldered hawk, another with a photo of a snowy egret. I also bought a mini painting of a black bird with red wings. 

In the non-art category, I bought Rail USA Museums & Trips Eastern States. This is an illustrated map and guide to rail-related museums, depots, historic sites, etc. I don't remember seeing it before and figured I'd regret it if I didn't buy it. I'm trying to immerse myself in railroad lore of the 1840s.

We had lunch at The Old Oak Tavern. We ate sandwiches at the bar and talked with the bartender and another patron about beer and dogs.

Georgeanne, one of the hotel volunteers, had asked if I had seen Merwin's grave. I hadn't, but had noticed Gaylord Road on our way to the hotel. After lunch, we drove by The Little Red Schoolhouse, and stopped at the Gaylordsville Cemetery. I found the gravesite (this photo is better than the ones I took.) We ended up taking a detour--a bridge was out--and found ourselves near White Silo Winery. We may have stopped there, but we still have a few bottles of wine from our last visit. 

It's always good for me to go to Merwinsville. I have to get back to my research and actually start writing the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment