Friday, January 27, 2012

What I'm Reading: Magazines

About two weeks ago, I headed to Barnes & Noble with a $25 gift card. I picked up ART journaling, Poets &Writers and Consumer Reports ShopSmart.

I picked up ART journaling because I have a vague (i.e. not SMART) goal of doing more creative things. I hoped this would inspire me. I still haven't finished the first art journal I started two years ago and wrote about here http://lynnecoll.blogspot.com/2011/01/art-journals.html but I'll do some work/play in it again soon.

I chose Poets & Writers because I wanted a writing magazine and its cover intrigued me with the headline, inspiration. Interesting subheads are: Clearing a Space for Imagination, Revising as as Act of Discovery, Metaphor's Universe of Possibilities, The Art of Writers' Reading Lists.

SmartShop is a kind of Consumer Reports Light. Its headline, Get organized for less caught my eye although I didn't find the article all that helpful. But overall the magazine was a good read.

Since getting these magazines, SmartShop is the only one I've read completely. I realized I had a bunch of other partially-read magazines around so I've gone through them. I finished reading the latest issue of Bitch and a few of Utne Magazine. Those are my the two subscriptions. Jeff's been gifted recently with Time, The Week and Smithsonian. so I've skimmed them also. There is always more to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment