Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Some SMART Goals

For at least the past ten years, Jeff and I have given up drinking at the beginning of the year. We start the Monday after New Year's Day and don't drink again until Valentine's Day (although Jeff does have a beer on Superbowl Sunday.) I only remember one year where I failed at this goal--I had a glass or two of wine at a business dinner.

This is a SMART goal (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely). I think the time limitation is what makes it doable for us. We can look forward to a nice Valentine's dinner with wine.

Another of my goals is to exercise every day for at least a half hour. (This doesn't include walks with Spike or dog park visits.) Now I don't expect to meet this goal, but any progress on it will be good for me. Next week I go back to the gym--at first three times a week, later four or five times a week.

My other goals are works in progress. I want to eat better--so far I've got one day eating vegetarian. I want to write more. Not sure if I should go for a time  or a word count goal. Other goal areas are reading more, watching less TV, getting more sleep, doing creative things (now that's really vague.) Have to think more about how to make these meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment