Monday, January 2, 2012

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

As I was walking Spike this morning, I started thinking about the quotation in the title of this post. I remember seeing this on a poster in the sixties or seventies. The Philadelphia radio station WIBG used it in a jingle around that time. WIBG or Wibbage was my favorite station when I was in high school. I remember hanging out in my attic bedroom weeknights listening to deejays, Joey Reynolds and John Records Landecker, talking on the phone with my friends.

I made this detour down memory lane as I pondered resolutions and goals. I got off to a slow start and today slipped away from me. I did some minor chores but haven't made any progress on anything important.

That is the trap. It's not a matter of willfully ignoring important goals or dreams but getting caught up in the day-to-day necessities--the routines of our daily lives.

John Lennon once said that life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. But we can make plans to help shape our lives. We can ride the waves instead of letting them break over us and sweep us away.

Make plans, set goals, realize dreams.

I just have to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment