Friday, December 28, 2012

Reading List

Going through our second bedroom recently, I found several books that I've gotten over the past year or two that I haven't gotten around to reading: Big Girls Don't Cry, Hollywood Be Thy Name, Pride and Prejudice, Reading Lolita in Teheran, Eight Men Out. I may have missed a few.

I just finished reading The Kid Stays in the Picture, Robert Evans' memoir. I skimmed through the childhood chapters. Evans incurred a lot of anger in Hollywood. Reading his version, he doesn't seem unreasonable. But, I had to wonder--maybe it was Evan's own fault that everyone was against him.

Despite Evans' sexist attitudes and stupid mistakes, something about him remained likable. But he lost me for good when he said it was unjust that Roman Polanski remains persona non grata in the United States. Poor little child rapist Polanski; his supporters sicken me.

The next book I'll read is West with the Night. My mother-in-law recommended it. She had just read it a second time, received a copy for Christmas and lent it to me.

Yesterday, one of my neighbors asked if I kept a list of books I've read. This is a good idea. I wish I had started when I first read about it in a New York Times article. Oh well, better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment