Sunday, December 30, 2012

What We're Watching

We're back watching our Netflix films pretty quickly; there's very little baseball on TV (though we did catch a special on the 1986 league series that was pretty good) and many series are now in rerun status.

This week we watched the remake of Total Recall and The Avengers. I wasn't impressed with either.

I'm a fan of the original Total Recall. This version had some good moments, though frankly I can't think of them now (not a good sign.) CNN named it as one of the ten worst films of the year (another not good sign.) I actually got bored during the climactic action sequence.

The Avengers? Another mindless action movie. I spent half the movie adjusting the volume. When we watched Thor, our neighbor told us the sound was shaking the pictures on her wall.

I'll be the first to admit that mindless action flicks can be fun and diverting. But I find myself more and more bored by the over-the-top action sequences that make up much of films today. They're just too ridiculous.

I remain a fan of the classic films of the thirties and forties. I hate the restrictions the Hays office imposed on films and enjoy many pre-Code films.  But the best directors were able to work around some of the stupid code rules, e.g. William Wyler's version of The Letter with my favorite actress, Bette Davis.

Good directors don't have to rely on mindless action or sex sequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment