Sunday, December 9, 2012

Tim Burton's Dark Shadows

Our latest Netflix arrival: Dark Shadows 2012.

The film starts with a brief story of how Barnabas became a vampire. It differs from the original version (Jeff and I don't like the changes) but Angelique is still the cause of Barnabas' curse.

The atmospheric mood works in the opening scenes: the house is suitably creepy--down a wooded trail to a cold and sterile mansion, complete with the appearance of ghost Josette.

Then Barnabas (and camp) appear. He thinks the McDonald's golden arches are the sign of Mephistopheles. He shows Elizabeth a secret room which is filled with her macrame. A second secret room opens with an array of wolves howling in sequence; it's filled with jewels and riches.

An interesting twist is that Angelique is the head of Angelbay Seafood--the competitor that has been crushing the family fishing business. Another is that Victoria Winters is actually Maggie Evans and had been locked away in an asylum as a child. Ghost Josette showed her the governess ad for Collinwood and she heads to Maine.

I enjoyed the 70's music (the film takes place in 1972)--including Alice Cooper, T Rex, the Carpenters, the Moody Blues, Elton John and Curtis Mayfield.

A party scene includes stars from the original series: Jonathan Frid (Barnabas), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Josette), David Selby (Quentin--not in the movie) and Lara Parker (Angelique.)  I'm sorry to admit I didn't even notice them (until I read IMDB's trivia page. )

Ultimately, the film is disappointing. It's schizophrenic--going from spooky to camp to over the top: a fight scene with Barnabas reminded me of Death Becomes Her; I love that film but the effects didn't work here.

I'm glad we saw this film but glad we didn't rush out to the theater to do so. Frankly, it's been years since we've done that and I had my doubts when I first saw the trailer. But, I'd still call it a must-see for Dark Shadows fans--mostly for what it could have been.



No comments:

Post a Comment