Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why a blog?

I can't resist answering, "why a no chicken?" a reference to the famous "Why a duck?" routine from the Marx Brothers 1929 film, "The Cocoanuts". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECODePT6VHM

The Cocoanuts is far from my favorite Marx Brothers film; I prefer Monkey Business, Horsefeathers and of course, A Night at the Opera, but Cocoanuts has its moments. Besides why a duck, there's Groucho's "romantic" line to Margaret Dumont--sorry I haven't found it on youtube. It goes something like, "you, me and moonlight. Wear a necktie so I can recognize you."

But back to the question, why a blog? I've been thinking about this for a long time. I started reading blogs in 2005 after reading a New York Times article on Stephanie Klein's Greek Tragedy, at stephanieklein.com. Following comments and links, I found blogs that made me laugh, made me think and intrigued me. Some, such as The Happy Feminist, are gone.

Five years later, here I am. In a fantasy world, I'll be discovered and get a multi-book deal. Okay, so I really don't think that will happen. Maybe the world doesn't really need another blog. But to paraphrase Pete Townsend in “Guitar and Pen”, I think I've got something to write. I hope you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment