Saturday, May 19, 2012

On the Outside Looking In

I've never been a part of the in crowd.

I've always been okay with that. I wasn't a pariah--I had my own friends. I didn't need to be with the popular kids. I remember a girl in high school who desperately tried to be part of the in crowd but always looked pathetic. "John can get his dad's Riviera tonight." Even back then, that didn't count.

I find it weird to see the same in crowd vs. the out crowd as an adult. I've seen it at high school reunions  (which was somewhat expected) corporate settings, and most recently and inexplicably at the dog park.

One guy at the dog park apparently doesn't like Jeff and me. Obviously, that's his privilege but I find it weird when he's so blatant--he invites everyone to his house except us right in front of us. Yesterday he offered wine to someone who arrived with me but not to me. Guess what, he's not even in the in crowd, he's another wannabe.

Good thing I'm used to being on the outside looking in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv-HTHNffYU.

No comments:

Post a Comment