Saturday, March 28, 2020

Books (Already in the House) to Read

I pulled out all my books that I haven't read to see all my options. I excluded poetry books, reference books, Jeff's books, and Kindle books.

Unveiling the Edge of Time Black Holes, White Holes, Wormholes by John Gribbin: I love the idea of time travel and would love to write about it (I'm jealous of Bette because she did it.) I had read the first two chapters, and then I got lost. I'd like to try again.

Cosmic Coincidences Dark Matter, Mankind, and Anthropic Cosmology by John Gribbin and Martin Rees: I had asked Jeff to get me the first book, and he got this when he couldn't find Unveiling... He ended up getting me both.

The Elegant Universe super strings, hidden dimensions and the quest for the ultimate theory by Brian Greene: technically I think this is a Jeff book, but since it's next to my science books, I decided to include it.

The City of the Edge of Forever The Original Teleplay That Became The Classic Star Trek Episode by Harlan Ellison: I forgot about this book, which I picked up at the Ferguson Library in Stamford when I attended a mystery writer's workshop. Bonus: inside the book is a signed photograph of Gene Roddenberry.

Boston Noir Edited by Dennis Lehane: This collection of short stories is another forgotten purchase from the Ferguson Library.

Writing Women's Lives An Anthology of Autobiographical Narratives by Twentieth Century Women Writers Edited by Susan Cahill: I got this book from a library sale for $1. What a bargain.

The Sagas of Icelanders with a preface by Jane Smiley: I saw this book when I wanted to write a science fiction book about an ice planet, and it seemed ideal for my purposes. I'm not sure I ever opened it except to leave a bookmark inside.

Cleopatra A Life by Stacy Schiff: I picked up this book because The Witches (which I read last year) was so good. I had also read good reviews.

The Devouring A Billy Boyle World War II Mystery by James R. Benn: I got this book at the Ferguson Library in Stamford when I attended a mystery writer's workshop; the author was one of the panelists.

Billy BoyleWorld War II Mystery by James R. Benn: I got this book from the Norwalk Library sale because I had bought the previous book.

M Train by Patti Smith: I picked this up thinking this was Just Kids, but it sounds good.

Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball: My mother-in-law gave me this book about a man who tracks down and interviews descendants of his family's former slaves.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: This is another book sale purchase from a few years ago.

The Amber Room by Steve Berry: I bought this book for my mother, who didn't like it. I took a writing seminar with Berry once. Fun fact: he doesn't like commas.

Gideon's Sword, Gideon's Corpse, The Lost Island, Beyond the Ice Limit, and The Pharaoh Key by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child: I am grouping these books together because they constitute the Gideon Crew Novels. I've read all the other Preston and Child books except for the latest Pendergast novel.

Nineteen books. That will keep me busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment