Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas 2020

I knew this wouldn't be a good Christmas, but I wanted to make the best of it. We decorated for Christmas a few weeks ago and put up a tree for the first time in years. Last night I made filet mignon for dinner--it's a Cooper family tradition. I also made coconut creamed spinach and cheesy scalloped potatoes. I used a hot sesame oil to cook the spinach--it made an odd color but a spicy creamed spinach. I was bummed that I undercooked the potatoes. I'd made the dish many times before, but not recently. We had already finished watching our usual Christmas shows, and then watched some Simpsons Christmas episodes. 

Today we slept in. I made Christmas breakfast which I don't think I've made in 10 years. I made it as I remembered the original recipe and the changes I made to it. I googled "Christmas Breakfast" but didn't find the original recipe. First I crumbled some bread in the bottom of baking dishes, I added scrambled eggs with garlic, onions, peppers, bacon and cheddar cheese. Dinner was a turkey breast (that Jeff's mother gave us for Thanksgiving) stuffing, sweet potato, cranberry orange sauce, crescent rolls, and brussels sprouts with pepper, shallot, and garlic. 

We're dealing with some strange weather. Yesterday was warm in the 50's, but it was windy. Last night a rainstorm swept through, leaving many in Connecticut without power. Today Jeff, Lola, and I got caught in a downpour. It could have been much worse. It started pouring just as we were about to extend our walk. We got soaked anyway. Tonight it's going down to the mid-20's. With last week's snow melting, I'm concerned with everything freezing up again for tomorrow. 

We had a Skype call with Jeff's sisters and their families this afternoon. Jeff's mom is in bad shape so there was a pall over our conversation, as well as our whole Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment