Monday, January 24, 2022

A Writing Process

I didn't want to call this post "The Writing Process" because there's not just one writing process. I can't say what the best writing process is. (If somebody knows, please tell me.) I wanted to write about the process for the assignment due for today's writing class. 

We usually have a week for each assignment. Since last Monday was MLK Day, we had two weeks to write a story up to 850 words about the writer down the street. 

I had an idea to write about someone in my condominium. Neighbors are physically closer in condos than in houses. I remember someone saying that people in our condo respect each other's privacy because we have to live close together. 

Of course, some people don't respect other's privacy; some people are nosy. I decided to write an exaggerated version of a combination of two people who have lived in my condo. To meet the writer requirement, I had her write down her complaints about unfriendly, unappreciative neighbors. I wrote about half of the story and then put it aside. 

I didn't know where to go with the story. That's not unusual. Normally, I just keep writing and find a way. But after a few more days, I realized that my story didn't work. I didn't like it. 

Thursday night, when I was trying to fall asleep, I came up with another idea. I wrote the beginning in my head, played with the idea for another day, and started to write it down on Saturday. I worked on it on Sunday, and I finished and edited it this morning. 

I was pretty happy with it. I liked my character--a teenager from the early 70s. I'd like to write about her again. 

For me, the most important thing was that I abandoned my first idea when I realized it wasn't going to work. 
 
Not all my stories are good, but I've only had two or three that I've really been unhappy about. This assignment could have been another. I'm glad I avoided that. 

Onto homework due next week: to write about a chili cookoff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment