Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Last Day for the Star of the Month

Technically Bette Davis is Star of the Month for another three days. But Tuesday was the fourth day of a 24-hour Bette Davis-athon, and I didn't see any other Bette Davis movies on the schedule for the rest of the month.

The Tuesdays featured films in a rough chronological order. The first Tuesday covered films from 1931 to 1935, the second 1935 to 1940, the third 1940 to 1948, the fourth 1948 to 1987. I've seen all the movies before. I recorded some I hadn't seen in a while and watched parts live when I was home.

A few thoughts. I was disappointed not to see Beyond the Forest on yesterday's listing. I haven't seen that film in years. It may be Bette's worst performance.

The first film yesterday was Winter Meeting, It's a boring film; Bette is unattractive with short bangs (worse than those my mother cut for me) with no makeup. I did fall in love with Bette's New York apartment.

The best of Tuesday's bunch was All About Eve. Bette is so incredible as Margo Channing that it's hard to believe that Claudette Colbert was originally cast in the part.

I recorded The Star: one film I hadn't seen in a while.

I would love to create my own Bette Davis film festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment