Monday, November 25, 2019

The Big Store with The Marx Brothers

I first saw this movie when I was a student at University of Delaware. Back in those days, it was difficult to see an old movie. Gone With the Wind was re-released theatrically every several years. I'm not sure about other movies, except maybe in large city revival houses. That's why my mother let me stay home from school to watch The Letter.

I think I first saw most of the Marx Brothers films at Delaware. After seeing A Night at the Opera in an American Studies class, I had to see more. I loved Monkey Business too.

The Big Store isn't in the same category as the other two, but it's fun. Groucho, Chico, and Harpo team up to protect Chico's friend Tommy (Tony Martin.) Tommy is inheriting half-interest in a department store, which he'll sell to fund a new music conservatory. The bad guys led by Douglass Dumbrille can't let new buyers see the books, so Tommy has to go.

The scenes with Groucho and Margaret Dumont were funny. I liked the crazy chase scene with roller skates, bikes, and chutes.

Tony Martin made me miss Zeppo. He's boring and his musical number My Tenement Symphony is horrible and long. I've never been a fan of most of the Marx musical numbers, though I liked the an early scene in the conservatory with four young boys playing piano in Chico style.

The Big Store is worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment