Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Post That Would Have Been 2019 Week One

I had Wednesday all planned out. Take Lola out for a long walk before I went to the gynecologist: another walk with Lola and lunch before heading to a tutoring appointment. After that, a visit with my mother. Back home for dinner and a post about the first week of the year.

I got stuck at the doctor's for an extra hour...waiting. When I tried to take Lola for a quick visit to the park, strong winds were blowing around a discarded Christmas tree in the parking lot. That scared Lola, and she immediately turned to go back inside.

I got a phone call from my mother's health center. She wasn't doing well; she wasn't eating and was lethargic. She had already been sick with pneumonia for about a week.

I spent a few hours with my mother Wednesday afternoon; her doctor came around 5:30. My brother and I, and the doctor agreed to keep her comfortable where she was: no need to transfer her to the hospital.

Mom seemed a bit better that evening. She was eating. I talked to my brother, told him not to bother to visit that night. I left around 6.

By 8:30 she was gone.

The next day the social worker told me I had done all the right things for my mother. Of course I regret not staying with her Wednesday evening and not telling my brother to visit. Bur I can't dwell on that.

I'm doing pretty well considering. My mother's quality of life had declined over the past several months. She even told me on Monday, "I want to go now."

It was time.


No comments:

Post a Comment