Saturday, August 1, 2026

Celebrating the 86 Mets

Before the start of the Mets game today, the team honored the second (and unfortunately last) Mets World Series winners. They showed clips of games, introduced the staff and players (or family members of those who had died) and ended with the "Let's Go Mets!" video. 

I only became a baseball and Mets fan in 1985 and didn't appreciate how incredible the 86 run was. This morning I put on my Mets shorts and my favorite Mets t-shirt:1995 World Series Destiny (the NY in destiny was the Mets log) in preparation for the celebration.. 

1986 was the year I met Jeff and the year we got engaged. Like most fans, I particularly remember Game Six of the World Series. I had gone to a Billy Joel concert with friends Annette, Marge, and Elaine. We went primarily because Marge's friend George was singing back up that night. It was a great concert. Billy is big Mets fan and one of the guitarists was a big Red Sox fan. The concert was in New Haven and the crowd a mix of Mets and Sox fans. Billy updated us on the scores during the concert. 

We listened to the end of the game on the ride home. I remember punching the passenger seat in excitement at some of the plays. Elaine had recorded the game and we watched it over and over. 

The Mets played in two World Series since then and fell short in both. 

What can I say? Other than wait till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment