Friday, November 23, 2012

Variations on Black Friday

I love a bargain as much as (if not more than) the next person. I do most of my clothes shopping at sales or factory outlet stores. I proudly take advantage of every discount or promotion I can find in Christmas shopping.

But going shopping on Black Friday is like descending into one of Dante's circles of hell. I just don't get it. Why leave a holiday celebration early or get up at dawn to wait in line and fight the crowds? I'd be stressed out just finding a parking space before even getting into the store.

Other interest groups have gotten into the mix: I've heard about buy local Saturdays and Cyber Mondays. The most intriguing Black Friday variation for me was one about drinking good beer. We had two Guinness stouts and a Sam Adams gingerbread stout in the refrigerator. We picked up a pizza and celebrated that version of Black Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment