Friday, November 2, 2012

Venturing Out

Sandy brought strong winds to Norwalk, CT from Monday morning through Tuesday afternoon. Luckily, we didn't get much rain. Jeff, Spike and I hunkered down late Sunday afternoon after a dog park visit, only emerging for walks. We were glued to local TV and CNN for much of Monday and Tuesday morning. (until I found a Face-Off marathon and switched back to news during the commercials.)

Wednesday, we went a few blocks away to pick up a pizza for lunch. But it wasn't until Thursday that I left town. I had a tutoring student an hour's drive away. I saw that large stretches of my route were without power. I was stuck in traffic but figured it was worth it because the delays were due to electric repairs. I saw lots of debris, including large branches and tree-trunks--many chopped along the side of the road.

Close to my destination, I had to pass under a few trees propped against other trees--scary. Then the road I normally take was closed. I finally made it to my student's home, after a confusing, alternate route about a half hour later.

That wasn't the worst of it. On my way home, I passed through an intersection that  normally has a traffic light. I couldn't see anything without streetlights; it wasn't at one of the intersections that I recognized. A driver pulled out in front of me and I jammed on the breaks. Luckily he stopped midway through the intersection. Otherwise, I don't know where I would be right now. It was scary. It reminded me like nothing else to slow down and be extra careful. I needed to get back home to Jeff and Spike.



No comments:

Post a Comment