Sunday, June 30, 2024

Down the Shore Part One

I grew up in Audubon, New Jersey, a town close to the Delaware River. My aunt and uncle had a bungalow in Ortley Beach, New Jersey, where we spent many vacations. My cousin Barb lives there now. The bungalow had been totally destroyed in Hurricane Sandy and remodeled. It's strange to see how drastically the street has changed. Of course, it's stranger for my cousins who spent so many summers there.  

Barb's sister, brother, and other family members arrived Saturday. Jeff and I, on Sunday. We had been told a 4 PM check-in, but I missed the owner's email that we could arrive early--I was driving and didn't check my phone.

We didn't see much of one branch of the family. They didn't want Jace at their rental--even though we agreed to keep him outside. Then my cousin's wife fell on the boardwalk. She suffered a black eye and a swollen, bruised cheekbone, and needed six stitches. Luckily, she didn't have a concussion. She was talking it easy the last two days we were in the area.

We did have great visit with my cousin Cindy and husband Brian--the dog people who joined us for lunch outside despite a strong wind (that knocked over my iced tea as well as many other things.) Cindy was my closest cousin growing up. We laughed over old stories and memories. 

We found some dog-friendly places. First, we stopped at Last Wave Brewing Company in Point Pleasant on our drive down. We each enjoyed two half-pours (they didn't offer flights.). Then we drove down Route 35 South instead of going back to the Garden State Parkway. We went to two dog-friendly restaurants in town: Bum Rogers Crabhouse and Island Beach Fish Company.

We stayed at a condo in Seaside Park, just south of Seaside Heights and its famous boardwalk. Our condo was in a great location, right off the main drag, but in a quiet area. We had an off-street parking spot, and it was only three steps to enter the condo.

I loved the neighborhood. We were close to the bay, and Jace and enjoyed exploring. One day, a duck was walking ahead of us. The next day we trailed a pair of ducks. A new experience for us. 

I really liked Seaside Park. While it has its share of beach McMansions, it retains some of the old-style bungalows that were the norm when I was growing up. I'd like to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment