Monday, September 30, 2024

Writing Advice in Unexpected Places

I wrote a few posts about finding good lines in unexpected places--meaning B movies. 

This post is about finding relevant writing advice in unexpected places. A few weeks ago, I was reading through a list of tips/advice about random topics--I think it was from cracked.com, but I can't find it.

Here's the gist of what I remember:

Don't completely stop a good routine. If you've been working out and want to skip a day, do two sit-ups. If  you write everyday and want to skip a day, write two sentences. 

I thought this was a great idea. Unfortunately, I haven't acted on it yet.

The following is a comment more than a piece of advice from the series, Wednesday:

"I've always hated the expression 'write what you know'. It's a hall pass for the imagination-impaired." 

I have to agree with Wednesday on this. "Write what you know." may be good advice for a new writer, but it's too restricting. Taken literally, I can't write about a man, a mother, a divorcee, an actress, or anyone older than me. Let me use my imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment